planting instructions for Alphonse plants

elbeardoAugust 19, 2009

Hi. I'm getting ready to plant 5 five gallon Alphonse Carr plants in a concrete planter that is about 20 feet long, 2 feet wide and 3 feet deep (open at the bottom though). Is there anything special I need to do? The planter is full of mostly clean fill dirt with store bought compost mixed in to the top six inches or so. Should I fertilize right away? With what? what depth should the plants be planted at? Anything else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Bamboo can grow in pretty poor soil, so yours should be happy with what you've got. You could lightly fertilize, but it's not necessary. When I do fertilize, I use a slow release fertilizer like Osmocote, but you can use any well-balanced grass fertilizer as well. Mainly, you need to water well.

The planter sounds fine. Plant it so that the top of the soil in the pot is even with the top of the soil in the planter. The only issue is that Alphonse Karr is a clumper, so it will not spread out in that long bed. Therefore, you may want to get several more A. Karr, or other species of clumpers, if you want the planter to be full of bamboo.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
My well water & bamboo
I posted this issue under the thread "Bamboo turning...
mikess
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
dkansas
Alternate plant suggestion for bamboo which is not...
dkansas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™