bees and beekeeping

dannybeeFebruary 23, 2008

besides the clovers what are some good beekeeping plants? does anyone have vitex seed? thanks dannybee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

dannybee,
I'd suggest you do an internet search on this topic - you might be surprised at all the available information there is on just this one topic! Vitex is good and there are groups, even here at GardenWeb, that deal with swapping seeds or trading honey for seeds (which I've done before).
But ultimately, I feel (some my disagree), that planting specifically for your bees is a somewhat fruitless endeavor due to the shear amount of land and planting volume you'd have to do, to really provide a substantial nectar source for them. [But that has never stopped me from planting at least some nectar sources for them].

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 2:22PM
tonybeeguy

I planted a small patch of buckwheat last year. It grows fast, you can do two or more plantings, the bees like it and the flowers are pretty which makes for some good photo opportunities.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 11:53PM
bob3

Buckwheat is an excellent "green manure" crop as well as being good bee snacks.
It puts a lot of nitrogen back into the soil & makes for a good soil conditioner.
Folks that have gardens (and the room) may want to consider doing a crop rotation every couple-few years with buckwheat & plow it under after it's run it's course.

Bookmark   February 25, 2008 at 7:14PM
barbara_muret(ctr OK)

Wildflowers are always easy and a joy to have around. My bees adore "Snow in the Mountain" and the Sunflowers, both of which bloom very late and stay in bloom a very long time.

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 9:14PM
tonybeeguy

I am very lucky to live on a dead end street with no houses on one side because of the river that goes by. The neighborhood is a bounty with wild sunflowers, a small field of wild thyme, sweet white clover,japanese knotweed,goldenrod,milkweed, sumac, basswood trees,weeping cherry,some fruit trees, and the always welcome dandelions. Throughout the season there is always something providing nectar or pollen.

Bookmark   January 15, 2009 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Raising Bumble Bees for the Home Gardner
Hello Garden Web Friends, For the past few years, I...
Sunrise Vineyards
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Sponsored Products
Kindergarten Kids Bug A Boo Drawer Chest
Classic Hostess
Wing Dings� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kaleidoscope - Whimsical Area
$255.95 | Bellacor
Afina Beekman LS-BEE-SN 3.75W in. Light Sconce - Satin Nickel - LS-BEE-SN
$227.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: LA Rugs Olive Kids Flowerland Multi
$11.97 | Home Depot
Robert Abbey Ant Bee Swing Arm Brass Pharmacy Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Queen Bee 19-ounce Wine Glass (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Queen Bee Wall Sconce
Lightology
Iannone Design | Dandelion Graphic Console - Stretched
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™