bees in compost

gumbeeFebruary 7, 2010

i started a compost bin in my yard last year filled mostly with leaves. upon trying to turn the leaves i found a swarm of some type of honey bees. i stopped messing with them and enjoyed having them in my garden all summer. my question is will they be back next summer. i want the bees more than the compost but i also want the compost. will they move on some day or will they keep coming back to the compost bin if i don't disturb them. thankyou

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
usmc_recon

Pictures?

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 12:26PM
radioron

Gee, I thought I saw a good picture in the written description. Please and thank you for the vision of bees lazing in the compost on a sunny afternoon. latersquared

Bookmark   February 12, 2010 at 9:04PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I can't see it myself honey bees in a compost pile....do yo?

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 11:09PM
gordhutchings

The bees were almost for sure a species of Bombus, bumble bees. They love this environment if the composting, decay isn't getting too hot. Infact, they prefer it cool.
If it wasn't Bombus, and not a bee, then look at a species of ground-nesting Vespids such as Vespula vulgaris, a species of Yellow Jackets.
Either way, they will not return next year but if another queen chooses that spot, then that's just a fluke, or luck.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 2:58PM
ottawan_z5a

I had the same situation. I had a composte pile with fig pots on the top of the pile (because of space limitation) and pots by its side. The bees were coming in and going out through one side of the pile in one location almost like clock work, one or two every two or three seconds.
I had problem getting to a ripe fig because as soon as they notice my presence (somehow) many will come out and buzz around me to make me leave.
Iy is -30C now and I am not sure if they will be there next summer.

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™