What happens to runners in a contained area over time?

suprdudeAugust 20, 2007

I have several separate sections of runners contained with barriers. The oldest is about 5 years old and it seems like it's bursting at the seams. Won't it eventually become a solid mass of roots, suffocating itself? Who has a contained area that old, and what's its condition?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
srolle1(5b-7 depending on who you ask)

most people with bamboo in planters or contained areas will divide or root prune every few years to keep the plant from choking itself out. in addition it is nice to replace the dirt from the rootballs you removed with your own topsoil mix. without maintenance it will become just like the 1 gallon plant you've seen sitting at the nursery for the last 5 years, rootbound. if the planter is too small for the boo to become mature, then you'll have a dwarfed plant.

find some friends to give a bamboo start or specimen to. if you'd rather not do the work you can put an ad online and someone will usually be glad to remove some for you in exchange for the removed bamboo itself.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 12:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
webgator(9 FL)

Yes, it will eventually choke itself out if you do not divide it. That happened to one of my runners this year, and I knew I needed to divide it but kept putting it off.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™