Winter loss

beeguy(z4 WI)February 27, 2005

How can a beekeeper analyze the cause of winter loss? Would a microscopic inspection of dead bees reveal presence of mites?

To the best of my knowledge, Wisconsin does not have a bee inspector service.

Thanks

ej

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccrb1(z5 IND)

I believe the usda in beltsville md will analysis your dead bees for tracheal mites at no charge.

Bookmark   February 27, 2005 at 6:07PM
Barnabus(7 S.Carolina)

BeeGuy:
Are you talking about the entire hive being dead or just dead bees in front of the hive. You know of course that a large number of bees die protecting the queen and keeping the temp in the hive at the proper level. I check mine real regular and clean the dead bees away form the front on the hive but then when I checked it again there are always more dead bees. On one of ouy recent warm speel 70+ degrees I opened the hive and there were still plenty of bees there. This may not be your answer but you are on the right forum to get the right answer.
Hope this helps.
Barnabus

Bookmark   February 28, 2005 at 1:04PM
beeguy(z4 WI)

I lost 3 of 4 colonies. There was ample honey available and no evidence of starvation.

Thanks for the tip on USDA lab in MD.

ej

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 12:17PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

wrap your dead bees in paper, not plastic, and send to the lab. They can confirm or deny some causes, such as tracheal mites. Knowing the cause is always a good thing, and a heckuvalot better than guessing.

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 6:41PM
The_Dollmaker

May I butt in? I'm not a beekeeper but mail your bees in a small box or mark the envelope "HAND CANCEL" so the Post Office won't send it thru their wringer machine. The insect people who came and lectured to our Master Gardener class said they are frustrated by the smooshed bugs they are asked to look at.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 2:10PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

Actually, no. don't send bees through the post office at all. Send them UPS. Mail destined for the USDA gets rerouted and opened elsewhere.

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™