Rhizome jumped the barrier; if I cut it, will it end there?

suprdudeAugust 4, 2007

So my Golden Bamboo sent one or two rhizomes over the top of my bamboo barrier in the very back where I couldn't see until it was pretty entrenched. I cut the rhizomes and dug out/cut up what I could but simply can't get to all of it. My question is will that portion outside the mother plant survive on it's own and continue to grow? I have six other running species in separate area's and none of them have given me as big a headache as the Golden; it so aggressive!!

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inversa

if you severed all of the rhizomes for the culms that you want and do not let them establish culms of their own, they will die and very slowly rot away.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 1:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Once you cut the rhizomes, they die beyond the cut point. Unless these rhizomes were in the ground for long enough to get really established (maybe a year), they wouldn't be able to keep growing, even if you had left them in the ground. Bamboo is not like those invasive weeds that can regenerate from pieces left in the ground. Barriers do generally work...as long as you keep patrolling for rhizomes that either jump the turnstile or manage to penetrate the barrier. My ground is too hard and I'm too lazy and cheap to install barriers, so I keep my bamboo under control with yearly rhizome pruning.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
What's Wrong With My Bamboo?
Hey all, I'm a brand new member and this is my first...
PacNWbalconyGrower
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
bamboo books?
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some books...
mersiepoo
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Sponsored Products
Decorline Rhizome Leather Texture Wallpaper - 488-31202
$95.52 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™