Is it time to cut the banana stalk of my banana tree ? Pics insid

firstinlastoutAugust 19, 2010

I bought a banana tree off Ebay about a year ago advertised as a "chiquita banana tree". It has been growing very rapidly here in South Florida as you can imagine. A few months ago the banana's started growing. I also have 3 baby plants growing around the mother plant...they are all about 3-4 feet tall. Anyhow, I was waiting to see if the bananas would get bigger...but seems they may have sent me the dwarf mini bananas, which I am upset about since I wanted regular bananas. Anyhow, when is the best time to cut the stalk off the banana fruit and let it ripen inside my house ? Reason I am asking is the fruit now has little black speckles all over and some of the bananas have split in half. One of the bananas has also became completely black at the end, sort of rotten (another pic). Is it time to cut the fruit stalk off ? I was waiting because I really thought the seller had given me true normal sized chiquita bananas you see in stores everywhere. Any insight/help is greatly appreciated !

Norm in Davie, FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threas(z7 PA)

Hi Norm,
I can't get your links to work...?? If your using photobucket, check pix you want to post and then hit"Generate HTML CODE" at bottom of page. Copy and paste first code in this box. When you preview the clickable thumbnails will show up in your post. Hope this helps.

Theresa

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 12:06PM
rednofl(9b Goldenrod Fl hz 10)

Hi Norm
I think your bananas might be Manzanos very tasty with an apple like flavor. They are ready to be cut and hung inside to ripen. Let them get very ripe for best flavor. All mine froze to the ground last winter and I should have fruit next year

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 3:10AM
jus256(6 Southeast Michigan)

Norm,
If you wanted full size Chiquita bananas, you need to get the Grand Nain. It does flower at 7-8ft as far as I know.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Banana fruiting stopped at 3 hands, now what?
My banana tree finally flowered, we were so excited....
darkmorning
Digging Musa basjoo
My 10-year-old musa mother plant has now become a banana...
rainydaywoman_z8
Smallest dwarf I've seen
This past week I was out to lunch and while walking...
gnappi
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™