Planting and Spacing B. Dollichomerithalla

bobestesAugust 30, 2006

I bought three three gallon pots of Bambusa Dollichomerithalla. this weekend, and I'm going to plant them in a row along my patio.

How much space should I put between each one (and my patio), keeping in mind that they'll get much larger (and wider) than they currently are.

As far as the effect I'm going for, I would like to have some space between the clumps, and have the foliage up top merge together. I'm not going for a thick wall of bamboo, per se.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jetstream(Z9b)

I can't answer your question per se...but here's a link showing pics of boo with the in ground planting dates listed. Kind of gives you an idea of what they will look like in a few years...Z

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Garden

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 6:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

If watered well and in good conditions such as well drained soil and if it does not freeze back in the Winter, it should form a clump(at the base) about three feet in diameter in it's third or fourth season, and spread six inches to a foot in diameter each season after that.

Spreading can be controlled by just breaking off the new shoots that are unwanted, as they emerge in the Summer.

I would guess 8 to 12 feet apart, depending on how much space you want between the clumps, and how far above the ground you want them to merge.

Good Luck

Kt

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™