Small hive beatles

lisette1February 1, 2009

My hive is almost a year old. During a routin inspection I saw some small hive beatles. I treated the ground and waited about 2 weeks. Today I opened my hive to find still lots of active beatles. I have plenty of bees and lots of empty dark comb but no stored honey. I live in southeast Texas where my bees can find plenty to eat all year long but I don't think my hive has been able to get ahead of the infestation. I wanted to avoid any direct applications of pesticide but I am now open to any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I don't have small hive beetle yet, perhaps ask over in Beesource, link below is a discussion on it..

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Small hive beetle

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 7:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ebbyark

I have a hive that is infected with SHB also. I built a SHB trap that has a pan under it filled with veg. oil. So far in about 3 weeks I have trapped about 275 beetles. You can get the plans or buy the trap at this web site. www.greenbeehives.com Click on the DIY Small Hive Beetle Trap if you want to build your own, so far I have built 2 of them, just finished and installed the 2nd one today. I only have 2 hives.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 10:02PM
More Discussions
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
Grubby_AZ 9b
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Bee Hive for Black Bees
We have a large bee hive that was created this summer...
MotherNauresDaughter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™