pleaase help? bee bee trees

jakeman(z6 pa)February 24, 2005

has anyone heard of these and what is the botanical name? please e-masil me at narke004@msn.com please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MatthewPrescott(6)

Any various trees such as a Basswood which have nectar-rich flowers attractive to bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee Tree

Bookmark   February 24, 2005 at 9:36PM
Millie_36(Z6b MO)

I believe this is what you are looking for....Evodia danielii. Look at the last bit of information at the very bottom of the right hand column on the link below.

There must be male and female trees, because we have had some that flower, but do not set seed. Maybe someone else can answer that for you. I do know that the bees really work the one that does set seed for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Korean Evodia

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 11:41AM
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

jakeman,
I think you've already got your answers from the previous two postings. A quick 'Google' search makes the connection between Millie's Korean Evodia and the actual term "bee bee tree" as does the more generic use of the term 'bee tree' when referring to trees like the Basswood trees.

There is one point of confusion that really "threw me" for the longest time. While travelling in Europe (Russia), I had the occassion to be offered a light yellowish creamed honey with an unusual (but tasty) flavor. I was told it was honey from the lime tree. Well, I knew lime, right? The green citrus fruit that required a climate much more tropical than this close to the artic circle! My mind was suffering a real "disconnect" here...how is this honey from a lime tree? Must simply be a translation problem...

But this is typical of the problems you run into when the common names of plants are used. A little internet searching upon my return home and before you know it, the discovery was made: Lime tree = Linden tree = Basswood tree.
And the Winter Linden tree (Tilia platyphyllos) is what had provided that wonderful tasting Lime honey! And this honey tasted different from the liquid (extracted) honey from the American Basswood (Tilia americana) so common in your part of the country.

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 4:36PM
Millie_36(Z6b MO)

jakeman, I just posted a question about the fertility of the bee bee tree (Korean Evodia) and was told that the name has been changed to Euodia (note! u not v )and Tetradium daniellii. I looked it up as Tetradium daniellii and got lots of hits.

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
efeuer
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Sponsored Products
Bungalow Flooring Door Mats Aqua Shield Pine Trees Dark Brown 17.5 in. x 26.5
$29.97 | Home Depot
Wrought Iron Tree Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Black Lab with Bandana Ornament
$44.50 | FRONTGATE
Order Home Collection 2ft Cherry Blossom Tree
Overstock.com
Rainforest Waterfall Tiered Jars LED Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus