Dont plant yellow groove near rubber liner pond!

sandy0225(z5 Indiana)August 26, 2008

My fish pond had been leaking all summer and my hubby and I finally decided to investigate and see what the problem was. We thought it was in the waterfall and we were going to shut it off and see if that fixed the problem.

Well I was pulling excess water hyacinths out with a rake and snagged into something--and discovered my yellow groove bamboo planted next to the pond 4 years ago or so had punctured through the rubber roof material liner in FOUR places, about a foot and a half down from the surface.The shoots were growing out into the water, which I though it wouldn't do either! We cut it off and patched the holes and it's holding water again.

I thought I'd post this to tell you that you might want to be careful when putting yellow groove around a liner pond! I never thought this would happen in a million years!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
delaney276(6)

UHOO>...I just planted some bamboo about 2-3 feet from my 4000 gallon pond...maybe I should move them LOL...I was wanting quick shade for the afternoon sun...not sure what type of bamboo it is though...was it .45 mil liner that you used?..Dave

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 10:17PM
wcu40lax

I bought a house nearly 2 years ago that was well manincured & landscaped. Besides it's beauty, the bamboo has been a major headache. The bamboo (unsure of the type) surrounds our fish pond. The bamboo has poked holes in the fish pond. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 5:19PM
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

Yes, my pond liner is standard .45 thick rubber roofing material. I'm not sure why the bamboo poked through it since other websites say you can use this to contain the bamboo. But it sure didn't work in my case.
Thankfully it wasn't my big grove of bamboo that did this, it was just an area about 8X10 near that pond. I decided to take it out, because we'd been considering doing that anyway. Even before this happened.
I like my bananas near the pond much better anyway. I cut down all the shoots and I'm keeping on cutting them until they exhaust themselves.

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
blue bamboo?
I am looking for bamboo hardy to zone 7 with blue culms....
shane11
What is the DEAL?
Last autumn, I split off some young culms from my main,...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Do Barriers Work?
Hello - I live in Maryland - zone 7 and am about to...
mdbamboo
What's Wrong With My Bamboo?
Hey all, I'm a brand new member and this is my first...
PacNWbalconyGrower
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
Sponsored Products
Wine Rack - Black Rubber - Menu A/S
$59.95 | HORNE
Upton Home Cornell Sofa Table
Overstock.com
FANMATS Door Mats San Francisco Giants 18 in. x 30 in. Door Mat Black 11313.0
$14.88 | Home Depot
22'' Black Cotswold Round Wall Planter
$24.99 | zulily
Velvet Suspension
Lightology