Attracting a colony

dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)February 22, 2006

I get a moderate amount of bees, but wouldn't mind a colony if it didn't get too far out of control. Would a bee box get used potentially? Is there any other thing I can make as a potential bee house for ANY bee species in Florida? Apparently most kinds of bumble bees just make holes in the dirt as a house?

Thanks for any help,

Gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

Gary,
Your personal motivation for having bees around your house is unclear to me. Normally people don't want bees too close to their home. Without a better understanding as to why you are trying to attract bees it's difficult to answer your questions. For your question #1): maybe but it's doubtful; for question #2): if you mean for the one "thing" to handle multiple bee species, then the answer is no; for question #3): for Bombus, it's common.

Bookmark   February 23, 2006 at 9:59AM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

I do have fruit trees on 1.5 acres, but mostly to provide habitat for another species affected by loss of habitat.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 6:57AM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

Well I guess I found my own answer, while watching 'Victory Garden' a lady discussed attracting wildlife to gardens, and bees were mentioned. Bought her book, 'A blessing of toads', about such things.

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 6:13AM
gardendeb

Here's a nice article about creating a "bee garden"

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee Garden

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 6:27AM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

Found out more info about using an upside pot to try to hold some. Anyone do this?

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 10:16AM
zephyray

Wildflowers native to your area are best especially for native bees, you can often find mixes in hardware stores. I hate to recommend a non-native but as I work in plant nurseries and if I WAS going to recommend one that honey bees seem to adore it would be lavender (sp. Lavendula). Maybe this is because the native home for both (lavender and honey bee) is the same general landmass. Perhaps they evolved together.

The same goes for rosemary and honeysuckles. Honeybees love 'em. So I guess a good way to attract honeybees is to find aromatic plants that are also native to the same European/Mediterranean region that honeybees come from (though those places are also suffering CCD).

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 11:27AM
dghays(Z10A FL Brevard)

I'm mostly wanting to find what to house them in on my property. Something with little to no interaction by me if possible. Has anyone done this?

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 8:19AM
bandit_tx(z7-8 TX)

In most states it is against the law to maintain bees in anything that does not have moveable combs to facilitate inspections. I'm pretty sure this is true in Florida. Why not just get a standard hive body and frames?

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™