2 questions

sujiwan_gwAugust 17, 2008

1. If possible, I would like to find some sort of bamboo that will not be invasive and which grows enough to be harvested for multiple tall garden supports on a yearly basis. I have relied on Freecycle and Craigslist in the past, but haven't seen any offers in a couple of years. Generally, the cut bamboo seems to last only a season and is too deteriorated to re-use, so I am thinking along the lines of growing my own if these criteria can be met. South central PA, zone 6.

2. Which bamboos could I grow in a 3'x3'x2' container on a sheltered north facing open patio (one story wings to E and W, 2 story to S) for a wind-catching musical accent planting? If not hardy to a zone, can they overwinter in a cellar?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eric_layton

sujiwan,
1. For tall bamboo stakes hardy to your area means growing Phyllostachys, an invasive bamboo. Have you considered in-ground containment? Your next best option would be one of the taller Fargesia species. They are not invasive but are much shorter. I have F. robusta that shows some promise for 4' or taller stakes.

2. In order to have a bamboo with enough stature for an accent planting, again I would consider Phyllostachys. I have not had much success with bamboo in pots, even as large as a half whiskey barrel. Their cold tolerance is lousy compared to in-ground bamboo. The only ones I manage to keep alive over the winter are in very protected areas out of the wind, and I usually keep them outside except on extremely cold nights.
Eric

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
privacy wall for freeway noise
Trying to comb through all the back log of message...
ssmith58
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Best Zone 8 timber bamboo
Hi guys, I live on a few acres in South Mississippi,...
jdsokol
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™