I want to build a native bee house

Brandon LeeMarch 20, 2014

Hello,

I have been toying with the idea of building a native bee house. I recently replanted my front yard with a lot of water wise flowers and flowering bushes. The front yard isnt too big maybe 40X20. I figure this would be a good location for the house. The problem is that the front yard is on the west side of the house. I have read that the native bees prefer a east facing spot so they get the morning sun. Would this be a huge deal?

Another option could possibly be under an overhang on the south side of the house. The bees would have to travel maybe 50-75 feet to the flowers if I did this.

I am trying to avoid the back yard because the wife is deathly afraid of bees. Yes I know that these arent the same as honey bees but it would still be a big problem with her.

Obviously anywhere I put the house they are going to go all around but I am just trying to find a the best spot.

Any input about the location would be helpful. Also any input about the building of the house itself would also be helpful.

Thanks,
B San Diego

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Many sources have info. Search using "mason bee houses" but no quotes - or something similar.

You might start here
http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife/Gardening-Tips/Build-a-Bee-House.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: NationalWildlife Federation

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 2:17AM
charlieboring

Your wife should understand that mason bees do not sting unless mashed or trapped. The house should face south or south east and the overhang sounds like a functional location.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 1:10PM
ed1315

"I have been toying with the idea of building a native bee house. ....... the wife is deathly afraid of bees"

Sounds like a recipe for a divorce

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 11:00PM
Chris_MI(z5 MI)

Have you gone to the Crown Bees web site. It has videos and lessons for beginner gardeners in north america to raise native bees. even National Garden Club is getting involved having volunteer presenters to help teach gardeners to raise pollinators because of the HOney Bee collapse. Crown bees sells several kinds of bees and supplies. There are directions all over the web on how to make your own houses and nesting tubes.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 6:13AM
Brandon Lee

There is no reasoning with her on this. This is why I wanted to do it in the front yard where there will be plenty of flowers and more importantly we do not hang out in the front.

Im still planning this and also letting the front grow in some more.

Ill look a little more and see if I can find the answers to my questions.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 12:35PM
Jonathan29

so here is my take on it i have 4 houses and 5 females this year nesting they seem to be the most productive in the east facing side of the house because they get warmed up very quickly with the bright morning sun on their hives then get to work all day. I have already seen 4 holes filled with eggs and sealed. so i would recommend putting it on the east side. they will travel where they please so unfortunately your wife will have to get used to it.
Here is a link to a youtube video on my garden channel just a little info on mason bees and how my set up looked little while ago even though i have added to it still you will get an good indication of where to place a hive.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden Mason beekeeping

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 3:08AM
More Discussions
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Bee Hive for Black Bees
We have a large bee hive that was created this summer...
MotherNauresDaughter
first year bee keeping-Nevada
is there any one out there from my area first year...
cullen
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Sponsored Products
Spot on Square | Hiya Bookshelf, Birch
YLiving.com
Bill Phelps 'Untitled I (detail)' Stretched Canvas Art
Overstock.com
House of Troy 9" Wide Chrome Direct Wire Picture Light
Lamps Plus
Carriage House DC Outdoor Pendant by Maxim Lighting
$158.00 | Lumens
Stone Scroll Mantel
$1,275.00 | Horchow