Do I have a problem?

The_DollmakerMarch 5, 2005

Our house is 75 years old. It's sided with asphalt shingles. Every year, bees or what I think is bees, nest up under the shingles near my water spigot. They're smallish, they ignore the wasp traps, and they are not aggressive. I haven't been able to get a good look up inside there. Are they doing any structural damage? Could they eventually get inside the house if they haven't yet? If so, what's the most humane way to get them to leave? I don't know how long they've been there. We've lived here 5 years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Dollmaker

Yikes, I am reading old posts and seeing that if it is bees, after they leave, you have decaying honey to deal with. I guess I'll have to wait til they show up again and pay someone to look at them to make sure they are bees, then get out the checkbook. How does one tell how high up in the wall they would be living?

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 6:10PM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

If they're not aggressive you can catch them in a jar. you could probably layout some honey in a dish on a bright day and catch some that way.

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 6:39PM
The_Dollmaker

Am I to understand Queenie is probably overwintering in there? I'd like to screen it and then just use my nose, but I feel like it would be cruel to trap her. I try to co-exist with everyone because it's for my benefit. I trap some wasps but only right next to the door where they will fight us getting in sometimes.

Bookmark   March 6, 2005 at 9:52AM
ccrb1(z5 IND)

You aren't sure if you're dealing with honeybees or something else. Unless you make a positive ID, then no one is going to be able to tell you how to deal with it.

If they are wasps, they'll find another way out, perhaps via a bedroom. locking them in is hardly a wise move.

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 10:43PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

You could find a local beekeeper to have a look for positive I D, let us know what he
says, then we can give you second opinion.
Konrad

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 11:34PM
The_Dollmaker

Sighhhhh another 8 inches of snow last night and six more on the way for Saturday. Guess it'll be a few months before I need to call someone for i.d. anyway :(

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 10:59PM
The_Dollmaker

Did I say SIX? It's 12 to 20!

Bookmark   March 11, 2005 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Should You Destroy Hornet Nests?
Ok, ok, ok... I know this is a beekeeping forum and...
gaitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™