Is this potting mix good?

AuntJemimaJune 15, 2013

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-COCO-AMARYLLIS-HIPPEASTRUM-AMARYLLIS-PLANTS-FLOWER-BULBS-HIPPEASTRUM-/261091949668?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&var=&hash=item3cca4afc64

I just started out and bought this mixture for my hippis. Is this decent? When i was a kid i just used normal compost and they never seemed to last long. Hoping it will be different this time.

I'm not trying to promote the seller. I've read the FAQ and the soil mixes seem rather fancy for a newbie like me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Everyone was a newbie once! It pays to take the time to get your growing mix right!

This mixture holds 8x it's weight in water per the description. Hippeastrum can't sit in too wet a medium as you'll end up rotting the roots. While it says it's well draining, if I were using something like this, I'd cut in some coarse sand and perlite to improve drainage. Maybe do a search if this forum on coco to see what others say about this material.

In the discussion of media, in the FAQ, you'll see lots of discussion on growing medium incorporating grit, crushed granite, etc; since many on the list have dozens to hundreds of bulbs, a lot of time is spent fine tuning growing medium.

Good luck!
K

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:47AM
AuntJemima

thanks for the advice, kaboehm. I thought i was being smart getting that mix but it looks like it wasn't that great and putting in the manure pellets that came with it might have been a mistake.

I've read the faq and ended up just getting an orchid potting mix as the mixes seemed rather specialized and alot of the stuff either is not available at my local garden centre or you have to buy in huge quantities.

I'll see how the orchid mix works out, might try the bonsai one next time.

I did buy some perlite to mix in.

I bought a clear orchid container too so i can keep track of the roots.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll probably end up filling the house with plants now. lol

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 1:06PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

...And what's "wrong" with filling the house with plants?? Watch it, or you could catch CHAD!!
;-)
K

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Hippeastrum correiense
From Komoriya.. Sooo hopeful for the blooms.. What...
radhavall
pink amaryllis
I've been going through a pink phase. Here are some...
chinhster
Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis
I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably...
bluebonsai101
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
yellow flowering Hippeastrum
Who can help me to get a yellow flowering Hippeastrum?...
ton2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™