transplant

ALgal95June 29, 2013

Hi,
My husband dug up some amaryllis from a customer's yard (with permission). We potted them up. Some had very little root (he should have dug deeper). They seem to be doing ok for now. It has been very hot; I'm keeping them watered. I want to put them into the flower bed in the fall. Do you think this will be ok, moving them a second time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

I don't know where you live, but if the bulbs go dormant in the fall (in the cooler temperatures) that should be just fine. Usually you can move them any time of year as long as you get a good amount of dirt with the roots...they are pretty tough.
K

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 4:04PM
ALgal95

thank you. I am in Mobile, AL z8b

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:30PM
wally_1936(8b)

Algal95 when you post it helps a lot for all here if you would post your zone give location. I know it says optional but when asking for help all the help you can give us will also make it a lot easier to answer your questions. I know I had a problem finding everything here.

Happy Gardening
Paul

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:06PM

So... Here in the south you can transplant anytime. I prefer not to transplant when bulb is fully leafed out as leaves tend to get broken, etc. You might want to wait til it's cooler if you can, but if you transplant while fully leafed out...expect some leaves to break and it may also be more stressful to the bulb. Get as much soil as you can with all the roots to minimize stress. Good luck!!
K Spring, TX

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
Full House, Tres Chic and another
From top to bottom, Komoriya mislable, Tres Chic and...
jstropic
Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis
I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably...
bluebonsai101
Charisma x Tinkerbell
Hi Everyone, In 2012 I sent some pollen from my original...
dondeldux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™