bees like rotten thistles?

tomfarmerMarch 1, 2009

Hi, I'm not a beekeeper but I have a farm and I like to keep track of the honey bees, make sure they are doing ok. I saw something that surprised me yesterday and I wondered if any of you know why this is happening.

I like to experiment with compost teas, and I made one in a 3 gallon bucket of water (about a foot across) filling it up with green thistles and water, and covered that over with a layer of cut grass to keep the water from evaporating. It sat around for a while, and it's pretty stinky, which it's supposed to do for compost tea, and now the honeybees are loving it. There are 8 to 10 on it all day long, walking eagerly over the cut grass, stopping occasionally. They don't have any pollen on their legs. Sometimes they back into the water, it looks like, and are maybe chewing on the dead grass? But for so many to be in a small place at the same time is really unusual, as far as I have ever seen.

I have compost and buckets of clean water in other places that they don't go near. Other bees and stingless bees/wasps are out and busy on blooming plants, but aren't interested in this bucket. Only the honeybees. Does anyone know why they are so interested in it?

Sorry if this posts twice, I didn't see it show up the first time.

Thanks - Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I think they are sucking up water....it could be dirty but honey bees can filter it out, also, they love to sit on grass or other
debris, just to be out of the water and as long it's moist they can suck it up.

Konrad

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Should You Destroy Hornet Nests?
Ok, ok, ok... I know this is a beekeeping forum and...
gaitten
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™