New to Bamboo: Root rot bc of wet soil?

everythingirl1August 19, 2009

Hi all. I was lucky enough to get a large species of bamboo from a neighbor (5" wide stalk - got a 6' piece with a new culm coming out). However, the plant was dug from the ground and left on the side of the house for 2 days. When I got it, the leaves were curled up but still green. I put it in a large container with water and let it soak up the water overnight. The next day I planted it in an area of the yard that slopes down and has clay soil amended with 25 % compost. I staked the bamboo with twine because winds were toppling it down.

The first week it did fine- I watered it every day and the plant looked great. The second week I noticed that the leaves had started to curl although it had rained for several days. I also noticed that the ground was sopping wet. I have been watching it for the last 3 days and the leaf curling has not gone away despite constant rain. Today, I dug it out and when I did there was a huge sucking sound from the ground and an acid smell from the soil. When I took a closer look at the bamboo stalk, I saw that it was starting to turn brown-black in places. So, I dug it out and put it in a 45 gal pot (without a bottom) filled with compost half-buried in the ground. I am hoping that by raising it there will be better drainage. I can't keep it in a pot because it is just too big but I was trying to save it from drowning in that clay soil.

What else can I do? Is it going to die? Is that acid-sour smell from root rot?

I'll be sooooo sad if she doesn't make it! Boo hoo!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

It's not clear what you started with. Did you get a decent size root ball? Also, if what you got was some root with a new culm, that would be a portion of the plant that is least well established and likely to fail as a transplant.

It's hard for me to comment on your soil. Bamboo usually do well in even poor soil, and have a high tolerance for water (unless they have their feet in standing water for days). Leaf curl is a symptom of too little water or simply that the plant began dying almost from the start. As for whether there is something in your soil that is a problem, I don't know.

In addition to all this, the best time to take a division of bamboo and transplant it is when the plant is semi-dormant...late fall through early spring.

Unfortunately, from what you've said, I doubt that this plant will recover.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Will remove unwanted bamboo in nc
Hey all, My team and I willing to remove a mature bamboo...
bamboohunter
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Detail question about propagating from rhizomes
Hi there by accident I came across some rhizomes of...
linaria_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™