Herbs in containers

sharonlf(z10 AZ)August 27, 2010

I have never grown herbs but would like to try a few....basil, chives, oregano, maybe some dill. I am unable to build a raised bed right now so would have to grow them in pots at first....or as soon as it cools off a bit. Hopefully they will do okay in pots until the hot weather arrives again next summer. Will they be okay in pots during the summer once established or will I lose them in the heat? Also do I need to use clay pots instead of the plastic ones?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Hiya Sharon and all,

I love herbs too and always have a few growing. Growing them in pots is actually a nice way to grow them since you can move the pots into more sun during winter and less sun in summer, etc. I've had a rosemary topiary (lollipop trained, LOL) growing in a large terracotta pot for many years and really love it. Basil is good in summer in pots as long as the pots get some shade (you don't want to cook the roots), and rosemary is great in pots too (sun in winter, shade or morning sun in summer if it's in a pot). Mint, oregano, and chives are usually good to, again, as long as they get that shade for the pot in summer (plenty of plants that thrive in full sun in summer in the ground still need some shade in summer in a pot).

I grow almost everything in terracotta pots, but I've had success with plastic too and I know lots of folks who swear by plastic as it needs less water. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

Even if your herbs only grow from autumn through early summer, that's longer than the season folks in cold winter areas get so you'll still have plenty to harvest. Early and mid autumn are good times to give new herb plantings a try.

I'm sure other folks will chime in too. Let us know what you try and how it works out. Good luck and keep us posted!

Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Lawn renovation/reseeding - Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
drumstick tree
I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great. I...
calb_gardner
Garden Club Plant Sale Sat. Mar. 14
http://www.gardenersofeastvalley.org/gardenersofeastvalley.org/plant_sale_15.html East...
sundrop07
Water Softener
I'm going to install a new water softener to replace...
newtoucan
Sponsored Products
Breakfast Gift Set - N/A
$165.00 | Horchow
Detroit Tigers Food Storage Container Set
$13.99 | zulily
Hardy Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Grasshopper Table Lamp in Black and Brass
ModernistLighting.com
5-pin XLR DMX Decoder-Studio 4-Channel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Kas Rugs Blinds & Shades Cup of Joe Multi 5 ft. 3 in. x 8 ft. 3 in. Area Rug
Home Depot
Rattan Living Outdoor Colorful Rattan Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Domus Ventures Bonassola Conversation Set - Seats 4 - 722HN
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™