Should newbie worry about new bees driving off existing colony?

otherchuckMarch 25, 2013

Greetings all,

Just about to start beekeeping, and so I will probably visit this forum regularly for a while. One question I had at present is this:

I live in the Santa Ynez Valley, north of Santa Barbara, CA, USA. The Sunset Garden Book zone for where we live is 14. We have a 20-acre parcel, and the acre around our house is fenced and planted, and the other 19 acres are just native oak woodland, with lots of sage and sagebrush, etc. The garden in the protected area around our house is blessed with gazillion active and happy bees! They love our mediterranean and native plants. No idea where their hives are, by the way.

When we get our first hive, my wife was thinking of putting it under an oak in our backyard, but I was wondering if any new bees we get to populate that hive will compete adversely with the existing bees. I don't know much about bee diseases yet, but I understand that they exist, and I am concerned about a new tribe of bees infecting the existing colonies, and we end up accidentally decimating our presently healthy bee population ( either by disease or warfare).

Am I worrying too much about this? My preference would be to put my new hive anywhere else on the property so any newly imported bees aren't tempted to compete directly with the colonies that currently service our garden.

Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Chuck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Not much you can do and I wouldn't worry about,...honeybees love to fly much farther then your boundaries, around 4 miles. What bees are you seeing currently, also honey bees?

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 3:12AM
More Discussions
Here's My First Mason Bee Hive
So other than needing more tubes to fill it is there...
minkies
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Bee Hive for Black Bees
We have a large bee hive that was created this summer...
MotherNauresDaughter
Sponsored Products
Da Vinci Stainless Steel 18-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 18W
Bellacor
Quantum Stainless Steel Nine-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Pendant Light, 35.5W x
Bellacor
Triarch International Milan 4-light Brushed Steel Semi-Flush
Overstock.com
Diamond Medium Tulip Glasses
Classic Hostess
Uttermost Fascination 3-Light Chandelier
Lamps Plus