Robber bees

iammarcus(6)March 10, 2014

My hive was hit by robber bees who took everything except the Queen and a few house bees. Someone said that when the situation is hopeless the field bees will abandon the hive and join the stronger hive. My Queen was racing around over the empty cells without any attendants. Is there anything I could have done to save the Queen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Your hive couldn't defend it due to low population, perhaps lots of bees died off, and or you have entrance reducer not set to a minimum opening.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 12:09AM
TxBeek

I just had the same thing happen to a hive i started from a cutout about a month ago. But I was able to capture the queen in a clip, then add two top bars of honey and two bars of capped brood with nurse bees on the combs from another hive. The bees on the combs accepted the caged queen, and all seems to be well. I just saw some bees taking their first flights from that hive today, and the queen bee was running around doing what queen bees do.

TxBeek

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:41AM
ray4852

I'm surprised they didnâÂÂt kill the queen. Robbing is hard to stop. Once it gets started its hard to stop. Early measures to control it is to put on a robber screen and close off the upper entrance. Most of the time you have a bigger hive in your yard thatâÂÂs causing the problem. Take off the cover on all your hives and smoke them down. This will force them to go home and defend their hive. If you feed honeybee healthy. This stuff will ring the dinner bell. Its better to feed dry sugar if you have to feed.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:44PM
ray4852

I'm surprised they didnâÂÂt kill the queen. Robbing is hard to stop. Once it gets started its hard to stop. Early measures to control it is to put on a robber screen and close off the upper entrance. Most of the time you have a bigger hive in your yard thatâÂÂs causing the problem. Take off the cover on all your hives and smoke them down. This will force them to go home and defend their hive. If you feed honeybee healthy. This stuff will ring the dinner bell. Its better to feed dry sugar if you have to feed.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
Is this little thing really a bee?
This looks like a honey bee and wallows around in pollen...
grubby_AZ
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™