Fargesia Scabrida in zone 9b

MarinaSFAugust 9, 2014

My new house has a small back yard with a 20' wide concrete patio that is 2 ft from the back fence. I want to put in a privacy screen that will grow 9'- 12' tall.

I'm looking into clumping bamboos and it looks like fargesia scabrida would be perfect. I can plant them every 5 feet along the fence but they will only have 2' in depth.

2 Questions:
Will 2' be enough space?
If I buy a 2 gallon container that has 4 culms can I divide them before planting?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I planted a several gallon F. scabrida about 8 years ago in Zone 8 and it has grown very well. It is a bushy clump which is about 2' at the base, and about 6' in diameter at about chest height. However, it is only about 6' high and I doubt whether it will get to be 9'-12' high. You might want to consider another Fargesia that has a more upright form and is known to get taller. Your amount of space is probably ok, but you will need to take divisions off it a number of years hence to avoid it looking squashed up against the fence as it slowly expands its rhizomes outwards.

As far as dividing a 2-gallon plant, you might get away with splitting it in two, but any more than this could result in a bunch of dead divisions, and in any case dividing such a small plant will likely set it back several years.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 16:57

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:17AM
More Discussions
growth speed and how to grow moso and giant bamboo?
Hi everyone! I just orderd some Moso bamboo seeds(EDULIS/PUBESCENCE)...
BalanceA
Grasses
Do grasses ( like miscanthus and others) need a lot...
els60
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
How fast do moso bamboo seeds grow?
Hello! I bought moso bamboo seeds in January. Planted...
dazzlebean
Help me choose bamboo for dry summer
Hello! I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that...
cheapheap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™