help! something is eating my boo

paolosegantiAugust 11, 2005

finally i got little growth on my rhyzomes of black bamboo, and this morning i discovered that some of the skinny young culms vere chewed in half and most of the leaves were eaten, but not bites like snails, or beatles, , they're kind of shredded lenghtwise. and the damage starts from the bottom leaves. which leads me to think i might be from something that crawls not fly on it.

anyone know what it could be?

I did find some little slugs in the mulch, and put right away slug/ snail poison, but i think it might be something else.

i found lot's of roly poly. what do they feed on?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Squirrels are really good at mowing down young shoots, but they usually leave them alone when they get a foot or so high and are hardened off; and I've never seen them go after leaves. Do you live in an area where you might have deer?

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 2:12AM
foxd(z5b/6a)

Are there any cats in the area? I've had them attack small bamboo shoots, especially if you don't want them to.

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 9:42AM
bambooo(6 CT USA)

Shredding sounds like house cats. It might be slugs however. Don't think the pillbugs are any problem.

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 9:55AM
paoloseganti

no guys. no deers, cats couldnt do that to the leaves. and as for squirrels i still don't think it could do such work on the leaves. it's something smaller than a squirrels. it's got to be an insect. I went to a nursery with some of the damaged boo and they said slugs for shure.
so i gave it a good dose of pellet poison. let's hope it works.
the damage it's done, but thanks for the input guys.
ciao paolo

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 12:13PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Paolo-
Please keep us posted. I am still of the opinion it's not slugs. I live in the Pacific NW and I guarantee you that my slugs are bigger and badder than yours...and they don't do that kind of damage, especially in one night. Slug damage is typically a little mibble here and a little nibble there. We have slugs up to 6" long, and none of them have ever taken out any of my culms, although they've done some damage.

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 4:13PM
mtnbamboogirl(Z6_S36_ne_tn_mt)

i agree with kudzu..i had 3 of my 18 types of bamboo munched by deer till i put chicken wire around them...do you live in the country or deep inside a city?

Here is a link that might be useful: east coast bamboo group

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 1:50PM
egangrows(10b)

I a having the same sort of problem with my bamboo - spoke to the nursery where we purchased it and they thought maybe wasps would shred leaves for building their nests. I haven't spotted any wasps about but it's a thought.
I agree with above posts re: slugs - it doesn't sound like the kind of damage they would inflict.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 11:07AM
waterman1971(9)

Will you send me some of those little rascals, i have plenty of bamboo for them to eat.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 6:29PM
booz4all

Rabbits are the main culprits in my area, they tend to favor the lower leaves and new shoots. I have to fence juvenile plants or watch them get gnawed to the ground, good luck.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 4:59AM
fluffy_bamboo(Zone 9)

I get grasshoppers & moths in my black bamboo. I don't notice any damage but they seem to like it.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Bamboo for Privacy in Los Angeles
Hello everyone, I'm a bamboo rookie but I'm redoing...
dform
Is it possible to grow tall bamboo indoors?
I know *nothing* about bamboo, but I would love to...
tinan
Miniature Bamboo
I have recently purchased a Variegated German Bamboo...
partybra
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
Strange leaves on Oldhamii, wondering whats up and then boom!
So all my bamboo has been looking ever so green and...
littlepepperboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™