Bee Identication by Stinger

california_l33April 15, 2006

I had a bicycle/bee collision today. My guess is the closing speed could have been close to 50MPH, so there wasn't much left of the bee. Even considering the speed the impact was so hard that I'm curious as to what type of bee it was. I can only imagine it had to be quite large, like a bumble bee. So can any experts here identify a bee by a stinger. I've uploaded a photo here-

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wildlife/gal040928561269.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Sorry - I can't identify it - but if it had been on me, I wouldn't have left it in me long enough to take a picture of it. LOL.

This past summer, I had a couple of run-ins with an over-zealous guard, who decided he didn't want me anywhere near the compost pile or running my shredder. He managed to "get lucky" twice. My face looked like the day after an injection with Botox.

Now, while I am a dedicated organic type gardener/environmentalist, I decided to take exception to this particular guard's behavior - so I shot it with a squirt from a can of Raid. (sorry about that). But it worked!

Bejay

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 3:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tarheit(5b)

I would guess it was a honey bee as most (all?) of your other bees/wasps don't have barbed stingers and don't pull out the guts of the bee.

-Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Bee Stinger

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™