search on "bees digging holes in dirt." Actually, (see
photo) it's more like sandstone. When I first saw this
site in February, it was mysterious. A couple of days ago I went back
and it was swarming with bees. Okay, I thought, the bees
dug the holes...but in rock? Any light shed on this would
be welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jonathan29

I posted this on the other post you commented in but here it is again. That picture looks like they just adopted the holes those holes were probably formed from a river long ago or something of that nature. you didn't take a picture of the bees so i can't tell you if they were mason bees or leaf cutter bees or if they were a more aggressive variety.
If you are interested about raising gentle bees or mason bees please visit my youtube channel i have a little info on how to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden Mason beekeeping

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:56AM
cpacker

The holes seem to me to be too evenly spaced and too uniform in size to have resulted from a geological process. They are the kind of feature you would expect to have been created by agents influenced by their neighbors. And there's another similar outcrop nearby with no holes whatsoever. I should have examined the holes more carefully back in February when all was quiet! These bees were flying around furiously and noisily. I didn't want to get close.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:44AM
cpacker

The holes seem to me to be too evenly spaced and too uniform in size to have resulted from a geological process. They are the kind of feature you would expect to have been created by agents influenced by their neighbors. And there's another similar outcrop nearby with no holes whatsoever. I should have examined the holes more carefully back in February when all was quiet! These bees were flying around furiously and noisily. I didn't want to get close.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 6:47AM
lazy_gardens

If it's a soft rock - mudstone or other basically packed dirt kind of rock, they can chew into it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
Bugs, Birds and Beyond
FREE Festival for Children, Sat, 8/23 12 �...
blrhudugi
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™