adding supers

huzzahApril 11, 2006

on my one year old colony of two deeps that are full, I added a queen excluder and three supers of frames with foundation that has not had comb drawn as of yet. Is this the best strategy?

can i expect the bees to draw comb on all three this summer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Merops_apiaster(Cadiz (Spain))

I have read in George Imirie webs that you have to add a super with foundation, if they were supers with drawn comb you would be able to add three at time.
The bees will draw the foundation if they find nectar sources. If you feed you will see how fast they work.

I would read to George Imirie. Vamos, que lo voy a releer. I am going to re-read him.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 3:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

My colony has 2 brood boxes with 2 small supers on top. The lower super is about 2/3rds full. They have yet to draw comb on the top one.

This hive is about a year old and was started from a single swarm cluster that happened to land in my back yard.

As the colony had to start from scratch, so to speak, I can't comment on how fast it would take a full hive to fill 3 supers, but feel that 2 probably would be sufficient.

You will probably be inspecting the hive from time to time, and if it looks as if they are able to fill out the supers faster, then more could be added then.

In my opinion, if supers are added too fast, the bees won't be able to keep up anyway. When the top super looks about half full of honey, then I would add another at that time.

Bejay

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
What happened to our hive?
We are new beekeepers, starting two hives from two...
grovestead
And I thought everything I read on the internet was true...
http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Africanized-Honey-Bees Here...
naturewest
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™