Banana stalk

kay5432250September 27, 2008

Does anyone know how long it take for the banana stalk to ripen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenguy_(z6b PA)

Do you mean once the bananas form from flowers? Generally speaking 6 months. Once you the bananas form, get a marker and write the date on the stalk. Pick 6 months later.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 1:01AM
kay5432250

Yes that is what I mean. I was told also that once a tree has bananas that it dies. Is that correct? This tree has several stalks and is really big. I hate to see even the one that has the bananas die.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 1:47PM
john_ny(z6/7 Sunset 34)

First, let's clear up some terminology. Bananas are not trees. They are a giant herb, a corm (bulb-like) with leaf stems wrapped around each other, (looking like a big onion, when cut) forming a pseudostem, sometimes also referred to as the stalk. The fruit are in bunches, each of which consist of several hands, each of which consist of several fingers, or individual bananas. The mother plant will die, after producing the bunch of bananas, but should have also produced several pups, (shoots, appearing around the main stem) which will bear the next year's crop. Other plants that die after flowering/fruiting, and produce pups, arer pineapples, and other bromeliads.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 4:58PM
gardenguy_(z6b PA)

Yes, Kay as to what John said. The banana plant has a corm at the bottom of the base of the stalk in the soil. This corm is where the roots form to grow underground and the stalks grow above ground. Once a stalk has bananas it will not grow anymore. when the bananas are harvested, the stalk will die. The corm underground is still alive and will send up new smaller stalks called pups which are attached to the mother corm to grow into new stalks.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 11:16PM
kay5432250

Thanks for the info. I knew that pups would come up. I just hate to loose such a lovely big stalk.

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 2:59PM
mcbdz(8 Louisiana)

The pups will get just as big, believe me.
This is just a couple years worth of a division from my sister. I am going to have to do some major dividing in the spring..LOL
Pattie

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 8:42AM
gardenguy_(z6b PA)

mcbdz, that is a NICE pic. I've never seen so many banana stalks fruit at the same time. Are those ladyfinger bananas?

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 11:58PM
mcbdz(8 Louisiana)

Not sure of which. It is just the one that all my family and most people around here pass along. If someone is sure of which one it is would love to know.:o)
Pattie

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 9:27AM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Looks like Musa Ornata "Standard Lavender".

Steve

Bookmark   October 10, 2008 at 8:22AM
mcbdz(8 Louisiana)

Thanks Steve, looks like you found it. Cool to have the name. :o)
Pattie

Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Hundreds varieties of banana in Thailand
Though I'm Thai, it was last week at our local ornamental...
stephania
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™