Kingman, Mohave County Newbie

theadociaAugust 25, 2006

Hi! I just recently relocated from Louisiana to Kingman, Arizona in Mohave County. Northwest corner of the state.

I am totally clueless about this type of soil and I need to know where to start in planning my backyard. The house came with 2 shrubs and rocks in the front yard, but the back is reddish orange clay type soil and nothing else. How do you grow things and what will grow and do I have to treat or prepare the soil? Are there any books I should read? Needless to say this a huge difference from the sub tropical climate and landscape I am used to. I really want to plan and execute the space myself, and not have to hire a professional. Appreciate any and all tips.

Thanks so much :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharonlf(z10 AZ)

I live in Lake Havasu City and the climate and soil are a wee bit different here. If you don't get any answers here you might try at the Dave's Garden Southwestern forums. There you can also search for other people in your zip code.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southwestern Forum

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 1:29AM
cactuspad

Welcome to a very different gardening area. I live in Yucca and found a great deal of help by taking the Master Gardening class at Movhave Community College in Kingman, outstanding classes. Think the classes usually start in January.

Bookmark   August 27, 2006 at 9:13AM
aztreelvr

You can find a wealth of information at the University of Arizona Mohave County Cooperative Extension office in Kingman. Their urban horticulture department is the one that holds the Master Gardener classes mentioned above and provides research-based, non-biased information to the public. I've listed their web address below.

Additional information can be found on-line at the Maricopa County Cooperative Extension web site. Although the elevation is different much of the content will apply to the Kingman area. The web address is http://ag.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/

Here is a link that might be useful: Mohave County Cooperative Extension

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 11:20AM
theadocia

Thanks so much to all of you for your responses and suggestions. I will definitely look into the master gardner program, it sounds great!
Meanwhile if you have any organic solutions for the ants here please share :) I can't believe how many ants there are !

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 5:01PM
fadedandspaded_hotmail_com

ORGANIC SOLUTION FOR ANTS!! POUR BOILING WATER ON THE ANT HILL THAT WILL KILL THEM AND ITS REAL CHEAP. THAT ONE COME COMPLIMENTS FROM DAVE "THE GARDEN GUY",ON CHANNEL 3 NEWS.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 2:43PM
tracydr(9b)

For sugar eating ants, mix boric acid and sugar. Sprinkle it around their hill and they will carry it back and eat it. I haven't figured out a good one for fire ants yet, except to get some guneias or peacocks.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™