Fruit but not getting ripe

elbeardoSeptember 18, 2011

Hi. I've posted two photos here on the link provided of my two varieties of bananas growing in my backyard here in San Pedro, CA. The fruit have been hanging there for most of the summer and now we are heading into fall and they are not ripening. Should I cut the stalks off? I've heard of people putting plastic bags over the fruit to help speed the process. Any suggestions?

here's the photo link:

http://gallery.me.com/shermalley1/100142

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gnappi

I have the same problem here in South Florida. I tried bagging them and putting one each in the bag, a ripening plantain, and a store bought banana... no help.

Then I removed a hand from the tree and did the same thing, no help. I've made note of the size of the hands left on the tree and they continue to get larger in length and diameter so I'm leaving them alone for a while more. If they don't ripen in another month, I'll fry them like plantains :-)

PS, the ones I removed from the tree 5 weeks ago and bagged laid on my counter and did ripen nicely (without the bag) while the ones on the tree stay green and hard.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 9:13PM
postlethwait(10Lehigh Acres)

I was told when we started the banana's in our yard that they do not ripen on the tree, you must cut the stalk and hang inside to ripen. That is the way we have been doing it and it works great. Be aware, if you place the stalk in a plastic bag, all the banana's will ripen at the same time. We found that out the hard way. Hope this is the correct way to ripen them, but works for us.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 8:44PM
gnappi

I just dug up an article from a guy who sounds like he knows just about everything we should know. He shares it at:

http://webebananas.com/culture.html

In short they do ripen on the tree, after ~ 6 months. GREAT reading there.

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 10:24PM
emmettb_gw

Bananas do ripen on the plant.They can take anywhere from 3 to 10 months depending on your climate and time of year.You can cut some early from the bunch and place in a paper bag to ripen.If you wait for them to get ripe on the plant they will all get ripe about the same and it would be hard to eat them all before they spoil

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Banana pup ID
Could you guys tell me what species of banana this...
Conor_S.
Banana tree not doing well
I have a big banana tree that has been thriving until...
sibbell
Banana Question...
I bought a dwarf cavendish banana about 2 years ago,...
Dani74
Banana Palm uprooted in winds!
How can I save it???
Green4les
unknown banana
Hello, I got a banana plant and was pretty excited...
sunshine34662
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™