My banana plant sprouted a baby, and I need help

billybakerSeptember 5, 2009

First, let me say that I'm a complete plant novice. The first plant I ever bought was a banana tree plant (about five years ago), and I love him to death. He's been doing very well lately, and about three weeks ago he sprouted a little baby offshoot that's now about four inches out of the soil. I'd like to move the little guy to his own pot, but I don't want to screw it up.

So:

How do I do this?

When do I do this?

Etc.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deathpepperguy(4B)

Congratulations! I know how it feels...my banana plant (his name is Rupert) just sprouted a pup a few weeks ago.

Other members could probably give you more detailed advice, but here's what I know: Wait until the pup is at least 1 ft. tall before you cut it off. You want it to be nice and strong, and capable of withstanding transplant. Seeing as how you're in Massachusetts, I would wait until spring or summer, when it can make a quick comeback. Second, when you go to make the cut, do it with a strong, sharp-ish, preferably sterile garden trowel. Make sure you cut at an angle into the mother plant in order to get enough roots. 30 degrees seems to be adequate. Once you've made the first cut, cut in a circle around the baby (not too close), make one final scoop, and pop him right out of the ground. It's just that easy. From there, you can plant the baby in its own pot. You may wish to keep it out of DIRECT sunlight for the first week or two, just to be safe. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
First Year End Red Esente
This is the first year of growing Bananas (Red Esente)...
DueanGross
ice cream banana tree
i have had the bananas for a few months.. dont seem...
sudsmcduff
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
What size container to transplant into
I just purchased an unknown banana plant (labeled Musa...
drtd
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™