when to cut stalk to winterize...

mastiffhoo(7)September 14, 2008

hello nana growers! was wondering, when get ready to winterize my plants, when do i actually cut the stalk? i have read that you cut them to about 6" from the ground, but when do i do that? do i wait till it turns brown or before then? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bdollarbill

What kind of banana is it? If its a cold hardy Basjoo you could cut it a lot higher up & just mulch it really well. Main thing it protecting the corm/rhizome from freezing. Some people up north cut stalk 4 feet or more & use bags of leaves as mulch, cover with plastic or tarp fro winter & then in the spring pull it all out. I dig all my banana's up every year just for that added insurance they will not die over the cold winter, But I have a lot ofd tropical banana's that 40 degrees would kill. Its a full weekend digging them all up I have over 20 different kinds & multiples of most.

Bill

Bookmark   September 15, 2008 at 10:08PM
mastiffhoo(7)

ok, so if i dig them up - how far do i need to go. i have a praying hands in which the stalk is bigger around than my thigh. i also have a (excuse the spelling) dwarf orcino that is big as well, but no where near as big. i have a couple of musa basjoo's that i planted a little later in the summer and are not as big as they should be however i feel like they are established. so how far do i dig? do i cut the stalks? how much do i cut the stalk from the ground? thanks for then info!

Bookmark   September 16, 2008 at 8:18AM
topher2006

If you don't want to lose the height from these plants don't cut them dig them up. To dig them up just start about a shovels length from your plant and dig down about 2 ft on all sides then just keep working your way under the banana. Pot them up and bring them in.

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Brand new to bananas, please help identify!
I'm in zone 6, so this baby will never go outside,...
lilmizscareall
banana stopped growing without fruit. should i cut it down?
my second go around of growing dwarf cavendish inside....
johndoug
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
Banana plant is dying, what is wrong?
Hello all! I bought this banana plant a couple of months...
rweiss
First Year End Red Esente
This is the first year of growing Bananas (Red Esente)...
DueanGross
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™