installed packages today

tonybeeguyApril 14, 2007

Just rambling. Drove out to Betterbee this morning from Berkshire County MA and picked up two 3lb packages with Italian queeens.It was 40 degrees and mostly cloudy today. We're supposed to have a Nor'eastern coming tomorrow, and not wanting to leave the bees hanging out in the shed for who knows how long, I popped them into their hives when I got home. Last week when the weather was sunny and warm I got the two extra hives set in place with mostly drawn out frames some with honey and a few frames of foundation, so I was well prepared. Everything went smoothly. I pulled a few frames, shook the bees in, replaced the frames and placed the queen cage on top after poking the candy. I used 1" spacer frames to keep the inner cover above the queen cage, and a bucket feeder and global patty on the inner cover, with an empty medium super and telescoping cover to close things up, topped off with an old tire to hold the TC down. Let it snow. The bees are snug and happy in their new home. Just as I buttoned up the last hive the sun broke through nice and warm. Life is Beautiful! Will check back in a few days to see that the queen is out. Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Good for you Tony!
I did my hive inspection today, this is one, also Italians, going into it's 3rd. season.
No CCD here.

Konrad

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 12:43AM
LisaNH(z4 NH)

What a difference 60 miles away makes. We too got our four new sets of bees on Saturday, but here we are still snow covered, and the storm brought a bunch more, poor bees.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 4:15PM
tonybeeguy

lisanh, I know what you mean. We were supposed to get snow too but have had rain since sat night so all of the snow is gone at least for today.When I open the cellar door it sounds like someone is running a bath, and the sump pump is on more than off. So are your bees in the hives or are you holding off for warmer temps?

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 8:03PM
scrappyjack

Konrad, Your girls look happy!
We're picking up some packages this saturday from Dadant in Elmira NY. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Keep hummin'
Jackie

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Location of Urban Apiary
Hello, I'm going to be constructing a 6 ft structure...
katetrav
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™