Did I kill my banana tree?

DonnieJean(3)September 18, 2012

In early June I bought a 1' banana tree and planted it in a large container. It grew beautifully, formed a 2nd pup(?) and is about 3' tall. I knew we were going to get frost last night (a low of 22), but, instead of moving it inside, I covered it with a couple of layers of sheets. Today I uncovered it and was shocked to find that the cold had penetrated the covering. The leaves are now glassy-looking and limp. Have I killed it or is there any way to save it? I read that banana trees should be allowed to go dormant, but I'm not sure this is what they meant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonie_57

What kind of banana plant is it? I don't know if even basjoo is hardy to zone 3 but definitely is not in a container. You need to dig it up, cut off the leaves and stick it someplace where it won't freeze.

Even a less hardy banana would probably be fine after such a short time if you go ahead and put it someplace it can go dormant and won't freeze.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 10:02PM
cogadh2000

I am on the northern edge of zone 6 in the Ohio Valley. I need to winterize my banana plants. Is it best to just dig them up and cut the tops down to bring them inside or should I do something else with them? How far down can I cut the tops? Should I remove all dirt from the roots? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 10:46AM
miketropic

where exactly do you live in the Ohio Valley

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
Thinking about buying a dwarf edible banana tree.
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a dwarf...
Citruslover1
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
When can I ID?
I acquired four banana pups last fall when a local...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
First Year End Red Esente
This is the first year of growing Bananas (Red Esente)...
DueanGross
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™