Newbies on bee

Nashonii(6 Ozarks)April 17, 2012

We were so excited, (and curious), trying to be a good host family, that..you guested it. We caused both hives to swarm. My husband took the Queens 'chambers' out as soon as they emurged. They both swarmed. One of the hives diffinately took her anterage and left. We were afraid both Queens left since they both swarmed. Yet one of the hives still has about 1/2 the anterage. We don't want to disturbe them right now. Don't see the queen, but we are new to this.The bees are very busy!

Does it sound like we might have a Queen left?

Are there any other bee keepers in our area who might might like to chat and give advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

There are way's to prevent swarming, splitting, checker boarding,....like open up the brood chamber etc. but sometimes you cant do much.
I let mine swarm and I can catch them,...these will be my new hives for the following year.
You should be fine...hopefully?
Not really sure what your husband did, ..think he took out queen cells, if he did, then the hive could get queen less.
The old queen takes off with about half the bees, the rest will take over with a new mated queen,...normally, if you didn't take all the queen cells out.
Check for new eggs/larvae in about 2 weeks.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 7:58PM
Nashonii(6 Ozarks)

DH says we just have about 30 bees lift, and he doesn't see any eggs, and maybe not any drones. "So looks like we are stuck." He is thinking of buying another beehive, from a guy who has offered to let him watch and learn. We need the learning!
Thank you konrad.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 6:18PM

Yeah,...your hive is gone, too bad, good advise from the guy.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 11:50PM
julysun

Google Package bees, you should find a package with bees and Queen for $130 or less. Order now or you will miss the season. Follow the suppliers instructions and install the bees. Be sure to feed the bees with Sugar water (1 to 1) and some patty food, also from the web. You should have 95% chance of success. Keep us posted.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:20PM

>>He is thinking of buying another beehive, from a guy who has offered to let him watch and learn.This is a better plan.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 7:49PM
julysun

There are numerous videos on Youtube showing how to install bees. If you can't find them I will help you.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Bugs, Birds and Beyond
FREE Festival for Children, Sat, 8/23 12 �...
blrhudugi
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™