Grow your own mushrooms?

tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)August 7, 2012

I've been following this site on FB and I'm intrigued by this idea. Has anyone done this? Does anybody think it's even possible to do in this environment?

Here is a link that might be useful: growing mushrooms

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Juttah

Yeah man ... I grow my own ...

Just kidding. But a friend in college ("Mushroom Diane" we called her) grew edible mushrooms in her kitchen, and based on her behavior, we suspected she grew other kinds of mushrooms as well.

This was years ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I seem to recall she had ordered a sponge or brick-like thing from a Pacific NW grower, which was inoculated with the spores from edible tree mushrooms.

She just dampened it and kept it in a dark location (I think inside her oven, or maybe her opium den) and the sponge/brick kept producing mushrooms which she'd pick periodically. So it definitely can be done here.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 5:57PM
Kathleen W(9b)

Well, tommy, I would think they would grow here. We have them regularly coming up in the horse pens in the cooler months. Of course, not sure if those are edible but surely there must be some to grow here with appropriate humidity (like in a greenhouse). I would love to do this too. Hope someone can advise a good resource/reference for this.

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 3:01AM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

If it's humidity they want, heaven knows there's enough to go around! Kidding, but I'm guessing the heat is the biggest obstacle. I found this Q&A about growing 'shrooms in TX. I haven't clicked on the link, but I'm going to read it in hopes of finding some that will grow here.

Here is a link that might be useful: mushrooms in hot arid climes

Bookmark   August 10, 2012 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
drumstick tree
I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great. I...
calb_gardner
Garden Club Plant Sale Sat. Mar. 14
http://www.gardenersofeastvalley.org/gardenersofeastvalley.org/plant_sale_15.html East...
sundrop07
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Sponsored Products
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Polished Brass on Solid Brass Steel Exter
$47.12 | Home Depot
Savoy House Transitional Flush Mount
1800Lighting
Sasha II Magma Bronze Mini Pendant
$153.00 | Bellacor
Istanbul Collection Geometric Tile Multicolor Area Rug (7'11 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Wayland Welcome Mat
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Black Eight-Piece Knife Set
$49.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$39.00 | Home Depot
Whitehaus Collection Aeri 21.75W x 21.75H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet WHA
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™