Carpenter bee houses?

topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)April 10, 2005

I have seen mason bee houses in catalogs...has anyone heard of a carpenter bee house? I thought maybe if I built them their own house, they wouldn't make so many holes in mine. I did a search on line, and all I found was ways to kill them! I wouldn't do that! They are pretty, and not hostile...I wouldn't want to harm them. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

the thing is that they are attracted to your house, and won't want to all be in one spot,if you built a shed out of a material that they like and made the surroundings similar to that of your house they would probably nest there, but still in your house aswell, to fix that problem you would have to make your house unattractive to them, resideing it with soemthing they don't like would probably do the trick for the msot part, just cover all the wood with aluminum. You did say you had extra piles of cash lieing around right, good I charge 100 dollars for this kind of advice, you can make the deposit to my nmbered swiss account 3423..... :)

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 11:36PM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Thanks for the advice, Brendan, but my house is in a historic district and the city would lock me up if I put alluminum over the wood trim... the main part is brick. I tryed filling the holes with wood putty once, but they just drilled back. A few are entertaining...how many is too many?

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 12:11AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

How many constitute too many is really subjective, For me one is too many, because by damaging the house they increse the need for fosil fuels, some people wouldn't mind it if there were a million little holes in there house, something you might do, something that they do for rats, is to mix little bits of crushed glass into the patching compound and then refill the hole, when they go to bore throught they wont be able to go throught the glass, or you could put some diatomaceous earth into the hole, it messes with there resperatory systems or so I am told, they should leave those holes alone. Goodluck

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 7:43PM
gilisi(zone 7 sth/est)

say bye-bye to your house if you are determined to love these things!

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 7:20PM
sustainablefuture

The carpenter bees are wonderful pollinators working on cold days to pollinate my fruit trees when it is too cold for the other bees. One cool spring, they were the bees working my apple trees. I had a great crop that year.
Their houses are a 1/2 inch hole drilled an inch or two into old untreated wood. The hole then turns at a 90 degree angle. That sounds difficult to build. I wonder if just drilling the straight inch or two hole would encourage them to finish the 90 degree turn. That last part is their brood chamber.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Who am I?
Anybody know what this is? Is it a carpenter bee?
dr.liz
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
Living with pollinators
Hello, I am new to this forum. We have been co-existing...
simplegreenguy
bees or Yellow Jacket
I was not killing them because I thought they were...
cyranoses
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™