is this 'red blotch' or leaf burn?

petrushkaJune 14, 2013

put my bulbs on the balcony 2 weeks ago. were healthy. been raining a lot, especially last week, they got drenched, but are mostly in bark and perlite, so drain well.
some days were very hot and sunny. just noticed on the underside of one leaf red blotches, feels rough to the touch. not insects. top of the leaf looks ok. other leaves on the same bulb ok, except some have small red spots on the underside only. I think 1 week ago they were all fine.
the affected leaf is the newest one, it was turned underside to the sun. could it be 'sun burn' or might it be virus?
other bulbs next to it have no problems.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oleg9grower

I doubt very much that this is a virus, most initial stage of the disease stagonospora. Tip: spray the plant with a solution benlate \ benomyl 1%. This part of the leaf is green will not, if the damage is small - can be cut off after spraying.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petrushka

thanks.
I wiped the leaves with 50% peroxide(3%)+ water yesterday (found in posts) and brought the plant indoors to dry up the soil and isolated it in a very sunny window.
not sure I understood about the leaf. can I just cut it off to limit the infection. and then spray the other leaves?
the bulb doesn't have any red marks. so I would assume it's just the leaves that got it?
I will look for fungicide with benlate.
I've seen captan and thiomyl mentioned too.
but I only currently have Chlorothalonil (marketed as Daconil). could that be used too or not?
and I also saw recommendation to use systemic (imidacloprid), which I have and actually it is already in the soil. i'll add more. this is to prevent spread by insects?

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Coming to life
My Amaryllis beds are coming to life
brigarif Khan
juxtaposition of chico
unwitting juxtaposition or is it an anti-occultation? unwitting...
bragu_DSM 5
DIPLOIDS, TRIPLOIDS AND TETRAPLOIDS...COMPLICATED TOPIC!
Could someone explain? H. Exotica is supposed a tetraploid...
georg_e_vergreen
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
Hippeastrum angustifolium
I was told that Hippeastrum angustifolium is an aquatic...
AlanLou
Sponsored Products
Textured Lines Rug 15' x 20' - WHITE
$9,899.00 | Horchow
Nourison Hand-tufted Contours Striped Ivory Rug (7'3 x 9'3)
Overstock.com
Red Vanilla Every Time White 16 oz. Gravy Boat - ET1911
$21.69 | Hayneedle
Artemis Fan
Lightology
Uttermost Ornamentational Block I II (Set of 2)
Beyond Stores
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$29.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™