Dwarf Cavendish

anthony340September 17, 2008

what signs should I look for when deciding to repot my Dwarf Cavendish? I'm still confused about "pups". I noticed something white coming up from my potted plant. Is this a pup starting to develop? What about pot size. Should I purchase a pot with width rather than depth to accommodate the root system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

I started with a dwarf cavendish..now I have 3 of them! Argh! If you want the plant to get bigger, then put it in a bigger pot. The pups will turn green and look like leaves coming out of the ground near the mother plant. I finally took the pups from the mother plant this summer, it killed the mom, but new ones sprouted from the mother itself, and the pups I transplanted are now 4 feet tall. They are both large, and the one is in an 8 inch regular size plastic pot. The other I just transplanted into a gallon sized plastic pot. They are both doing well, amazingly. I hate taking them inside but I have to soon, they look terrible when the cold weather hits, and our house is usually cold cold cold! This time I'm going to remove any pups that develop, I have too many bananas as it is! :D So far none have produced fruit. Not sure when that will happen, or if it will happen.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 6:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevexyz(Dallas, TX 8)

do you think you can send me a pup or two. i have been looking for a dwarf cavendish for months. i would be really happy if you could.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
How big are your zebrinas
On the Going Bananas site it says 6-8 ft but of course...
sfhellwig
yellow and brown edges on banana leaves
Hello all, I have a dwarf cavendish banana plant which...
sabine_farm
Musa Zebrina - Blood Banana - blooming photos
These 4 photos taken February 14, 2007: ..and the plant...
bananasdotorg
Does anyone actually have a tree that produces 'fruit' up north?
I was wondering if there is such a thing as growing...
meyermike_1micha
New banana plant, has it already fruited?
I had a gardener plant a banana tree. However, he failed...
derekcentrico
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™