Do bees sleep in flowers?

rosecatsApril 8, 2009

Well, you can already tell that I know next to nothing about bees, so please bear with me!

I've noticed for several years that bees seem to be sleeping in my flower heads, particularly cosmos & sunflowers. At first I thought they were dead, since they looked so crumpled up, poor things! However, I would notice that they were gone once the day warmed up, but I'd find more bees that evening or the next morning. I already noticed some in a very full English rose this year.

What's up? I always thought they went back to the hive at night.

Please chime in if you have any knowledge.... I've been telling people for some time that bees sleep in my flowers, and I don't want to sound too kooky if that's not the case.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I have never seen honey bees do this, only native bees, mostly bumbles, I suspect not only for a sleep over but a place to go to when bees are old and dying.

Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Bees

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 12:57PM
leafy02(6 Central Kentucky)

I often found bumble bees sleeping (and/or passing away) on flowers, especially my lavender plants, in my last garden. That garden was in an urban environment and there were not that many perennial flowers around other than in my yard, so maybe that's why I saw so many.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 1:45PM
beegood_gw

Especially in the fall when the nites get cool they are allmost comatose till the sun warms them up. That's the bumblebees. Honeybees go home at nite.And some do die.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 6:34PM
speechteach618

Yes, bees are sleeping on your flowers. While females may return to the hive, males often prefer to pass the night on a blossom. Cosmos are a particular favorite of members of the Melissodes species. No male bee of any species has a stinger, so feel free to take a closer look!

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 8:38PM
lesli8(8TX)

awe... sounds sweet. Sure they were not fairies? I have heard they do sleep in flowers (-:

Lesli

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 8:24PM
joannpalmyra

Yes! Last summer in early mornings I would find the flowers in my cutting garden being used as flop houses. LOL. Some flowers had a full ring of slumbering bees. They were so cute. I wonder if I still have the photos...

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 11:12AM
joannpalmyra

This is not my photo. I found it on Photo bucket...

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 11:22AM
laochdubh

I live in Ireland and there are two bees sleeping on flowers in my garden as we speak. I initially thought they were dead, but in the morning when they are warmed up by the sun they get on with their day....

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 3:20PM

Yea..it's mostly male bees staying out, ..not because they prefer, they
are not welcome at home....female, [worker bees] shove males out of their hive because breeding is over and pretty well useless at home at the end of season. There will be next to zero male bees going into winter inside a hive.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 1:01AM
Rachnaid

I have a massive lavender bush in my front and back garden. I have just returned from my holidays and was shocked to see the number of bees in there. There are always a few however upon my return I counted at least 45 in the back garden bush and about 55 in the front garden bush. I also noticed that at nighttime..approx 10pm they were sleeping on the heads of the lavender. Today I went out (after a massive downpour) and saw a number of them still on there but sadly wet and dead!. Is it normal for that many bees to be around one bush let alone sleep on them all night?

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:55AM
RichD1(United Kingdom)

We also have this, what is the answer?

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 4:45PM

It's the time of of the season again when bee population is at max and many bees are dying of old age.
Live span of a worker bumblebee is around 2 to 6 weeks, honey bees around 6 to 7 weeks.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 10:18PM
kazyaka

Bees do not sleep. What you are noticing are bees that where out to late and didn't get back before dark. Bees use the sun to find their way back to the hive and also to the flowers. The bees you find in your flower heads in the morning are just cold and wait to warm up to go back home.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 11:05AM
CCeastside

found this guy sleepin away on a Jopie Bush, then 2 last night seems to be the place to sleep

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:53PM
kannes

I was wondering the same thing. I keep finding bees, usually two together as in this photo very lethargic-like or drunk...or sleeping. I moved the petal near one, and they moved out of the tucked area and then crawled back in.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:27PM
karin_mt(4 MT)

What a cool picture Kannes!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:01AM
lazy_gardens

The male wild "squash bees" sleep in the flowers ... because they are waiting for females to show up.

It's their version of a singles bar.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
No bees in my Baltimore garden
This year my beautiful garden has attracted no bees,...
echalmers
"How Your Bee-Friendly Garden May Actually Be Killing Bees"
http://www.wired.com/2014/06/garden-center-neonicotinoids/ Last...
subk3
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
Raising Bumble Bees for the Home Gardner
Hello Garden Web Friends, For the past few years, I...
Sunrise Vineyards
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™