Dividing potted clumping bamboo?

buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)September 6, 2010

I have a fargesia rufa in a ten inch pot and would like to divide it to share it with a friend. It has about twelve stems. Do I just chop it in half like I would a daylily or ornamental grass?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentuck_8b(__)

If the plant is well established, what I do is, chop it in half with a machete or sometimes into quarters. A few culms may die but the overall division will be fine.

The less you disturb the soil around the roots/rhizomes, the better recovery period for the plant.

Kt

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 10:28PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I usually just take a root pruning saw and saw right down the middle. As kentuck says, don't mess around with the roots...just re-pot the two halves immediately.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 11:31PM
stevelau1911

You can probably get 2 good divisions by chopping the whole thing in half, but if you only have 12 culms on it, it would probably be much better if you let it put on some more culms before you mess with it because I've had a neighbor that did the same thing to a rufa that is similar to that in size. The result is although both divisions survived, the divisions were however set back quite a bit in culm proliferation and size so after 1 year, they are both under 1ft tall, the same height as the original before it got divided. I believe that without division, it would have probably been over 2ft and much more established enough to take many more divisions.

If your rufa is similar to mine, it should be able to shoot all season long and a 12 culm plant could possible end up being over 100 culms along with increased size if potted up in very good soil and pampered.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 12:44AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I looked closer and it is more than 12 culms and it is about three feet tall. Thanks

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 1:54PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Sorry about the other message now stuck at the top. I had technical difficulties posting and am not sure what happened there.....

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 1:55PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

buyorsell-
Once in a while GardenWeb has technical difficulties and those stuck messages get posted. Yours isn't the first....

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Wanted: PH dulcis or Giant timber bamboo
I am looking for ph dulcis and/or giant timbers I dont...
rozenkruetz
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Phyllostachys bamboo species? Bamboo experts?
This bamboo is growing in Northern VA, zone 7a. I assume...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
If selling bamboo - what to sell and how?
Greetings all! We have just aquired a home that has...
littlebamboozdo
top ten favorite bamboos
I'm relatively new to this forum and somewhat new to...
jeremy88
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™