Sweet Potato Questions

jeff_12422August 4, 2012

I started sweet potatoes VERY late this year... I kept meaning to pick one up at the store but kept forgetting. Anyhoo, I finally did start them, I have several big sprouts with roots on them, and now I'm wondering what to do with them.

The intent is to use them as a wall cover to cool off the yard and also hopefully provide food for us at the same time. (Although I'm pretty sure it's too late for a harvest this year.)

Should I keep them inside as houseplants til next spring? Put them out in a big pot now? Just plant them in the ground so they'll climb up the walls as planned? If I do that, will they produce sweet potatoes next year? (Are they perennials, or do I need to start them over next spring? And if I need to start them over, can I start with cuttings from the current non-producing vines?)

Obviously, I'm a total newbie at this. Any help/advice is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Hiya Jeff and all,

Sweet potatoes (ornamental and culinary) are generally perennials here. Mine survive the winters just fine (though in "cold" (for here!) winters the foliage gets damaged or cut back). If your plants are indoors now, I'd wait until autumn before getting them outside. It would be such a huge change for indoor-grown plants to suddenly go outside at this time of year. In autumn you can ease them to life outside in their final location. They'll go dormant in winter but should survive just fine. If you're nervous, or in a colder part of AZ than Phoenix/Yuma, you can definitely use stem cuttings rooted in water to start new plants.

Let us know what you do and how it works out. Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my garden August 2012

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 10:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_12422

Thanks, Grant. I will give autumn a try and just plant them in pots inside for now.

Another question I didn't realize I had: How do I know if they're ornamental??? I sprouted a yam/sweet potato (who knows what it really was, as they're always mislabeled at the store, and I have no idea what the difference is anyway...) from the grocery store. So I assumed it would produce more sweet potatoes (or yams). BUT.... The leaves don't look like the leaves on all the other sweet potato plants I've seen pics of here, so does that mean it's an ornamental variety that won't produce edible potatoes?

The leaves are dark green with a little purple in them and more heart-shaped whereas the other plants I've seen are lighter green and have pointy leaves.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™