honeybee question?

bluebirdmamaMay 4, 2011

My husband is getting bees for the first time this Saturday. He is going to be the "bee guy" not me, but I want to help by planting nectar plants for bees.

Here's my special "intractable" problem: We have a large steep drainage ditch. I want to kill everything on it (grass and weeds) using pond liner, going piece by piece down the ditch.

What do I plant on steep dry slopes, moist bottom, from seed, that I don't have to mow or water much? Would love some answers! Need to get started on this project soon. Oh, it would be nice if some of what I planted attracted honey bees!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I don't know how you kill weeds with a pond liner, will the liner stay
at the bottom and grow things around?

Roundup would work fine but just temporary, weeds will allway's come
up later and weeding is still needed after. I have borage, sunflower & poppies.. weeding is the main annoyance. Perhaps something dense like clover, I'm sure, you can grow more things in your climate...how about lavender?. I tend to grow more trees & shrubs for bees...good
for the long run.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 2:58AM
bluebirdmama

I'll put pond liner down, secure it and wait. It will kill everything under it. I NEVER use roundup - it is not safe as the company claims. It is made by Monsanto which is a horrible company!
I'll plant clover (it's a smoother crop - no weeding) but it would get a bit monotonous. So I could put other things in like borage, poppies, etc. Thanks! Look up Monsanto on the web, not the monsanto web site.

Bookmark   May 5, 2011 at 9:44AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Good for you!...how long do you have to keep the liner down?

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 12:39AM
bluebirdmama

About a month of summer sun should do it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 11:51AM
patsyann(7b)

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN. I USED PLASTIC AS WELL, BUT WHEN I DECIDED TO PLANT, I JUST CUT OUT HOLES IN THE PLASTIC AND PLANTED IN THE HOLES, KEEPING THE WEEDS FROM COMING BACK. EVENTUALLY I HAD NICE PLANTS SPREADING OUT TO COVER THE PLASTIC AND IF I FOUND A NEW PLANT I LIKED, I JUST CUT ANOTHER HOLE AND POPPED IT IN.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Observation Hive
I'm interested in setting up an observation hive. I...
katetrav
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
bees, deter, Please need suggestions!
OK.. I need the experts. For the last 13 years, my...
poolproblmes
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Should You Destroy Hornet Nests?
Ok, ok, ok... I know this is a beekeeping forum and...
gaitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™