screened bottom questions

spyderetteMay 8, 2009

hi -- i'm a beginner beekeeper starting back up again after a 5 year hiatus. screened bottom boards were not something i was familiar with in the past. here are my questions:

when hiving new package bees, do i need to use a standard bottom board with the screened varroa trap?

or do i just leave the screen in place on it's own?

can i ever use just the screen without the stickyboard in place underneath or will the mites get back in? (hive is also on a hive stand)

is there ever reason for me to use a standard bottom board with the screened board (winter, etc)?

thanks for your help! please keep your answers basic!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortus_custodis(7)

Living in the north as you do I would say to use the screened bottom with the sticky paper. I use them here in SC to help cool the bees during the warm season. I do not even use the sticky paper. It seems to help to cool the colonies and also rid the colony of a few of the mites.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 8:09AM
johnyoga2

If the hives are off the ground, there is no need to ever close up the screened bottom board except to do a mite count a few times a year. You can leave the screened bottom board open all winter. The bees have a harder time in winter with moisture then they seem to have with cold. I never use a solid bottom board, the hives are always fully open through the screened bottom board (the bottoms of my hives are about 1.5 feet above the ground on stands), and we get occasional spells of -10 degree F winter temps. I do use straw bales as windbreaks on the north and west sides of the hives, but the screened bottoms are always open.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 9:42AM
tonybeeguy

I took off most of my solid bottom boards this spring. I was running screened bottom board on top of solid bottom boards but the space in beteween them just seemed to be a place to catch debris and encourage wax moths.I'm not sure if I'll winter with them yet. I do provide plenty of ventilation so moisture isn't a problem in the winter. I live in the north western corner of MA

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 10:48AM
More Discussions
Bee identification
This large bee was attacking honeybees and bumblebees...
hrathbur
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Here's My First Mason Bee Hive
So other than needing more tubes to fill it is there...
minkies
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
Colony Collapse Disorder
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just forwarded...
WestEnder
Sponsored Products
Poppy Fields Yarn Dyed Faux Dupioni Silk Curtain
Overstock.com
Square Boon Light by Moooi
$1,653.00 | Lumens
Diamonds Giclee 14" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Finland Kitchen Cart - 83644
$199.99 | Hayneedle
Levolor Panel Track: Solar Screen Seed Stitch & Tides
Blindsgalore