bees in my card table...

pearsaml(6)May 14, 2011

So I was cleaning up my backyard today and I had this old card table that was in the yard over the winter. The top had some cuts in it and there is a pretty wide space inside the table now because it has been collecting water and leaves and stuff since the fall. Today I was going to pack it up and throw it out and I noticed there were a bunch of honeybees hanging out on it (maybe 8 or 9 at a time). The ones that were there would leave and more would fly back and land on the table and they would hang out near the openings to the inside of the table where all the leaves and water had been collecting. What could be on/in this table that they want? I thought they want pollen and sweet things? I've always wanted to attract honeybees to my garden so I think it's kind of cool but I was planning to get rid of the table so that I don't have this table full of standing water for mosquitoes to breed in in my backyard. Anybody know what they might be getting from these old composting leaves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

They're sucking up the water on the leaves.
You can dispose the table in late evening when bees are at home, they can find water somewhere else or you can give them a dish out with water and rocks/gravel in it so they don't drown.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
Bugs, Birds and Beyond
FREE Festival for Children, Sat, 8/23 12 �...
blrhudugi
Caucasian queens
I'm trying to line up some queens for next year.....I...
groall
mason bees
This is the first time for me on this forum (usually...
harry57
Where do bumblebees live?
I have hundreds of bumblebees ( ID'd from a photo in...
susanzone5
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™