Fast growing hive - help

nycefarm_gwMay 28, 2005

I planted a three foot magnolia about a month ago. I looked at it today and over half the tree is covered with small bees amd it looks like like a massive hive. I really didn't want to get to close, so I'm not real sure what is going on. I am about to have 30-40 people at the house, and I'm really concerned about stings. I swear it wasn't there last week when I checked the tree out.

What kind of bees form a hive like that? Is this dangerous? It looks like it has taken over half the tree. I can send a photo if visual aids are needed. I can't call the extension office till Tuesday, what to do in the meantime?

Please help!

Val

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amymcg(z5 MA)

First you need to determine what kind of bees they are. If they are honeybees, it could just be a swarm that is looking for a new home. This is swarm season, so it wouldn't be unlikely. If that is the case, then there's really nothing to worry about. They will probably take off on their own, and if they don't, call the extension office on Tuesday and I'm sure they will give you some beekeepers that would come and get them.

If they are something else, wasps or hornets, then I would call an exterminator and get rid of them.

Do you have pictures? Can you send to amcglothlin @ mac . com?

Bookmark   May 29, 2005 at 8:00AM
nycefarm_gw

Thanks for the reply. I ended up calling a friend whose neighbor is a beekeeper and in less than an hour the swarm was in the box. It was fascinating to watch.
I have lived on a farm all my life but never seen such knot of bees. There are some still hanging out, maybe trying to build up their numbers again.

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 10:51AM
nycefarm_gw

I have a question about the stragglers, which are still inhabiting the tree. It seems they are trying to build a hive. I can see the formation of white honeycomb on the leaves, are they trying to set up permanent residence? I called the bee man last night but he never called back...

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 8:51AM
txbeeguy(z8 TX)

As soon as the queen's pheromone fades, the stragglers will go away.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Is this a mining bee?
East central Illinois. Mid-August on a cone flower...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Wasps Buzzing on my Conifers
I saw a lot of yellow wasps buzzing on the two conifer...
redsun9
how to get rid of 10000s ground yellow jackets on 400-500 holes
Many parts of my 1 acre highly wood area has 400-500...
pectin
Large quiet bee--ID?
Can anyone ID this bee? Coastal BC, today
Real LIfe Garden Solutions
Will Rosemary attract bees?
I am planning a small bed at my daughter's school and...
Terry_R
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™