New guy

3DinAzAugust 22, 2012

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here as a member. I am a native of Ohio but I have been out west for the last 16yrs. I am somewhat familiar with gardening but in dire need of an education on how to do things the desert dweller's way. I grew up helping my grandmother in her garden in Ohio and we always had a great harvest...but every single trick that I have tried from back home, wont work in the desert...at least not for long term anyways. My soil starts out good but it quickly compacts and things just go down hill from there. Recently, I have begun to gather materials for a raised bed so I hope that will help out some.

I am sure that there must be some sort of "stickies" that I can browse through to save you all from regurgitating information all over again for yet another new member. If someone would please be so kind as point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

3D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

3D, there is a recent thread entitled "Bulk Soil", you might start there. Sounds like that discussion may be what you are looking for, at least for a start.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:01PM
3DinAz

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:58PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

I think I would start here. Seems there is a garden club you can join and the demo garden sounds like a good place to learn a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yuma demonstration garden

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 6:40PM
3DinAz

Thanks Tomatofreak! I actually had a chat with a member of this club a while back. Really nice person too. They are sort of hard to catch up to because they mainly meet on Tuesdays in the mornings all the local garden clubs meet around that same time it seems...Im guessing the groups must be mainly comprised of people in retired status. If I can ever get time off, I'd like to pick their brains. I'll bet there's some good knowledge there. Thanks for the link!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™