What species are your growing and how?

jstropicJune 15, 2013

Just purchased some species and thought it would be helpful to start a list of successful cultivation methods used in growing hippeastrum species. Please add any experiences you have had with a specific species. Thanks - J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snarfie

hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium 'silhouette'
mother bulb (bought it with 5 offsets) is making 3 new offsets, i have them in a very light, pretty warm spot, and watering them every now and then.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 2:45PM
jstropic

Thanks Snarfie,

What kind of soil mix to you have them in. When you say "very light" do you mean no direct sun light - just bright light?
Thanks for the info, this is a beautiful flowering bulb.
-J

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 4:36PM
snarfie

right behind a south facing window, in potting soil mixed with vermiculite. also have an red hybrid, and that one is in pure potting soil for over a year, and it had already flowered 4 times in one year (the last 2 flowers were pollinated with pollen from trentino, and with pollen from charisma), and it's self-fertile, so i have 30 healthy selfed-seedlings, and the 2 seedpods are almost ripe now. one is turning light green right now (red(forgot the name) x trentino), so, i'll give a couple of my hippeastrum selfed seedlings away to my brother, and some to my grandma to make place for the new ones

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:37AM
jstropic

Diana Chapman (Telos Rare Bulbs) has been adding information on the cultivation of hippeastrum species - with pics! Great information!
-J

Here is a link that might be useful: Diana Chapman's bulbmaven blog

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:33PM
jstropic

Snarfie,

How great that your brother and grandma share the same interest in hippeastrum as you do!! So nice to share with family.
-J

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Basil Plate Propagation
Hi, My friend- Nongnuch Nakmanoch did basil plate propagation...
Nititii P.
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
Another mislabel
Well my replacement bulb for Cirque du Soleil turned...
jstropic
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
H. Garasu Zaiku
This is one of my favorite Komoriya bulbs that I got...
jimnpa (6a PA USA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™