rhizome divisions

hank11(8 Northern Ca.)September 8, 2009

Next Jan/Feb I plan to dig some of my Phy. Dulcis and Phy. Bambusoides to keep their spread in check. There will be lots of extra rhizomes. In the past I simply cut them in about 8 inch pieces and put them in 5 gal. pots, and have had good success, but only get one single culm from each one. I realize that this is a very slow way to go and takes an extra year or two, but I am a patient grower and hate to waste a healthy rhizome. My question is this, can I put two three or four separate pieces in one pot and expect them to do ok, or would this "choke" them out or cause the whole pot to be weaker? Also I realize that it is best to dig culms that are 2-3 years old but I have a lot that are from this spring and have to come out.They are about an inch in diameter and 8 to 12 feet tall. Should I pot these up or am I expecting too much?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredgpops(z9 N/ CA)

No problem combining roots. Timing depends on zone you are in. Seems like I have the best luck with roots in late spring. Rgds

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 6:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

hank-
I see no problem with putting more than one rhizome cutting in a pot...just make sure you use a decent size pot. As for the existing culms, I have had pretty good luck taking divisions like you want to do of stuff that has come up in the current growing season. You might lose a couple of them, but if you're needing to take them out, go ahead and pot them up as long as they have at least a modest root or root ball. It's worth a try and you may have a fairly decent success rate.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
What is this growing on my bamboo and how do I get rid of it?
Is it some kind of scale? It wipes off pretty easily...
brownmola
Using plastic container as barrier
Greetings, Do you think I can use plastic container...
Late Sound
Bamboo Resilience
Last spring I picked up a clumping bamboo from a plant...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
What is the DEAL?
Last autumn, I split off some young culms from my main,...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Anyone growing Sasa palmata in zone 6A?
I want to screen part of our property and don't want...
mersiepoo
Sponsored Products
Fairview Table Lamp by Dimond
$186.00 | Lumens
Riga Large Wall Sconce by FontanaArte
$330.00 | Lumens
BluWorld Copper Falls Indoor/Outdoor Floor Fountain - VIWT8
$495.00 | Hayneedle
BluWorld Contempo Terra Horizontal Fountain - CTHRRS
$995.00 | Hayneedle
Pet Gear Booster Seat Medium Charcoal - PG1117CH
$61.68 | Hayneedle