Bad sprouts

sun_worshiper(FL 9b)June 16, 2012

Any idea what is wrong with these? Most of the seeds I have started using the float method look good. However, I have had a few that got all weird and spotted, then died, while still floating. The float trays are all next to each other, so conditions are pretty much the same for those that did well, and those that did badly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

In Florida, no need and not beneficial to start in water. Only creates extra steps, requires extra time, slows down germination and allows for more opportunities for loss from either rot or breakage in transfer to soil. Start directly in soil. See link below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Germinated Seeds - Soil

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 8:30PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Thanks Carol. I have tried planting in soil, using the set them sideways half buried method. That gave me about a 40% germination rate. With floating, I average 80% germination, with nearly 100% for the more robust varieties. It does also seem to point out which varieties like those above that are weaker. I'll have to try starting some seeds buried and see what kind of rate I get. Once I have transferred the good floated sprouts to soil, the containers go outdoors in partial shade, and they do great.

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 6:40PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Ah.... I know the problem ... don't set them sideways. Lay/press them down flat. Same as Arif and me - see link below. We both get a very high germination rate. Do not "bury" them. Follow the instructions that I linked above and if your seeds are fresh, you will get 90%+.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Arif sowing seeds

Bookmark   June 17, 2012 at 7:06PM
sun_worshiper(FL 9b)

Your way looks a lot easier! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

Angela

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
RED BLOTCH?
I noticed the other day that a new amaryllis bulb that...
chris_p1
Whites
I am fond of predominantly white Amaryllis. Some of...
brigarif Khan
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
Heir-loomed Amaryllis Seeds & Offsets
My grandmother has an Amaryllis that's a speckled salmon...
amaryllisgirl123 (zone 7 NJ USA)
Obsession or Addiction
Every year I make a resolution; NO MORE AMARYLLIS BREEDING...
brigarif Khan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™